Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Reflections on VoiceThread

VoiceThread is an online service that allows one to create an instructional video that people can view.  However, VoiceThread allows one to not only incorporate video, but also text based files, narration, and other forms of media.  This seems to be a very powerful tool, because a teacher can essentially create an entire lesson that includes video, text-based files, and audio narration.  Students could then go to VoiceThread and view a particular lesson.  

Even more exciting, is that VoiceThread would allow students to comment and interact with that lesson. As long as students register with Voice Thread, they could provide a written, auditory, or video response using a webcam.  My impression is that VoiceThread essentially allows you to move the classroom to the web.  Of course, VoiceThread is probably best used in conjunction with a traditional classroom environment.  VoiceThread is also free as long as your video postings remain below seventy-five megabytes.   

I could imagine using VoiceThread in my own classroom.  I always provide students with a class syllabus at the beginning of the school year.  Instead of printing copies, I could create a VoiceThread that all students need to view and comment on.  I could provide both video/auditory commentary and incorporate my usual handout as pdf within the VoiceThread.  The possibilites are exciting, and I look forward to finding ways to use VoiceThread to enhance my classes and student learning.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an interesting way to share a syllabus. Tell the world of your results.

    Z

    ReplyDelete