Sunday, May 13, 2012

Poll Everywhere

Technology as tool.  Often the simplest and everyday technologies get overlooked.  We take for granted what each technology does and don't think about what it could do.  Much has been written on how to incorporate student cell phones into the classroom.  This must be done in a way that uses technology as a tool instead of merely entertainment.

I teach social studies and our district constantly fights against cell phone use in school.  We must realize that these devices are part of the lives of our students.  This year I began to stop looking at cell phones as a device that interrupts my class and instead as a tool to enhance my instruction.  Once I was able to take that step, I was able to explore potential uses of the cell phone.

One such use is for students to participate in polls using their cell phones.  Poll Everywhere provides a free service to teachers for creating these polls.  I have used open-ended and multiple choice polls to deepen student understanding of topics.  Usually, I have the students use their cell phones to text in responses to essential questions as we learn new material.  For example, the students text in a summarized response about how the causes of the American War of Independence helps describe the role of government in society.  This works as a formative assessment as well, because you can gauge the responses to see if the students are grasping the material or if you need to reteach.

The best way to take advantage of this resource is to try it yourself.  It's a free service, but there are options to upgrade for some cost.  Additionally, the students can respond to the polls using a variety of devices (iPod Touch, iPads, cell phones, computers, etc.).

9 comments:

  1. Wow what a neat tool. I am excited to use it for a professional development seminar I am hosting. Thanks for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this tool Ashley. I use almost everyday in class.

      Delete
  2. Our professional development days used some of these types of tools to get us involved in the learning. I think it really highlights a way to bring the kids' world into the schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that involves a phone and kids get excited.

      Delete
  3. This is a great tool to use; we have used it on the laptops as well as iPad’s for staff and students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of my students use an iPod Touch or something other than a phone.

      Delete
  4. I believe that fighting technology only makes kids hate school more. We need to model responsible use and school is the perfect place for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Brian, I had this tool in the back of my mind to go looking for, just hadn't done it yet. Thanks for doing some of the work for me. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete